If you read our article about the History of Glassmaking in Venice, you know why you should visit the island of Murano to buy your piece of craftsmanship. Don’t worry if you want to buy an object but don’t have time to wait: the island’s glass factories are now equipped to make safe deliveries anywhere in the world. If you want to make a purchase, you need to bear several criteria in mind.
1. Look for the label
Apart from some exceptions, it’s better to do your glass shopping in Murano rather than in the city of Venice. While strolling through its streets, you will be spoilt for choice. First of all, make sure that the item has actually been created on the island. Authentic Murano glass products are protected by the Vetro Artistico Murano trademark, including a sticker attached to the product on sale.
2. Don’t expect to take your custom-made lamp home on the same day
Large objects require hours of work. Furthermore, each piece is unique meaning that small imperfections are an integral part of the value of the object.
3. You can make deals, but quality can't be inexpensive
Crafting authentic Murano glass is no easy task and does not come cheap. In short, if you come across a shop selling mass-produced items that promises quick delivery times or tempts you with low prices, beware. An interesting option could be touring some factories and buying a souvenir at the end of your visit.
HOW TO REACH MURANO:
- From Santa Lucia Railway Station or from Piazzale Roma: vaporetto line 4.2, departing every 20 minutes.
- From San Marco Monumento: vaporetto 4.1, departing every 20 minutes.
- From Fondamenta Nuove: vaporetto 4.1 or 4.2 departing every 10 minutes.